Monday, July 11, 2005

We have a car!!

The major event today: we rented a Beetle!! The car rental was about 30 minutes drive from Cape Town- I drove back the whole way ... and we survived (so did the Beetle)!!! Driving on the left side took some time to get used to, but after 15 minutes I was fine.
The Beetle is so cute! Only you have to press the brake pedal really hard if you want to stop and changing the gears is a bit tough... but well, at least we have the car now! Although, when we got home, some smoke was coming from the engine..
The car takes about 10 litres of gas per 100 km, I think it's quite a lot..

I was a bit annoyed by the attitude of the people at the car rental company, they were Afrikaans, all men and it seemed to me that when they were telling us about the car, they addressed only Tobi and they ignored me (because I am a woman)! I kind of felt excluded from the conversation.. Anyway, I bet those guys were really surprised when they saw that I was driving back to Cape Town! :o)

In the afternoon we went to the most beautiful beach in Cape Town - Clifton Beach. Since it's winter now, the beach was quite empty. I've never seen so big waves in my life - just amazing! The water was quite cold, but despite that we went in - can't really call it swimming, because the waves were just too big!

I think this sounds a bit crazy but I realized today that I really like those minibus taxis....they are packed with people, the drivers are crazy (no speed limit for them), but somehow I feel safe there and I don't mind the crowd.

We are starting our project next Monday, so there's still time to do other stuff.
The plan is to climb Table Mountain and go to the Cape of Good Hope in the next days...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home